Saturday, February 12, 2011

Craig Conroy Retires After 17 Years, Moves Into Calgary's Front Office

Rita Mingoby Rita Mingo

Filed under:



CALGARY -- Craig Conroy begins a new phase in his hockey career, leaving the ice with no regrets and not just a little anticipation.

As was expected, Conroy announced his retirement from the National Hockey League on Friday afternoon after 17 seasons and his appointment as special assistant to Calgary Flames acting general manager Jay Feaster.

"I consider myself lucky that my career brought me and my family to the city of Calgary and the Flames organization,'' commented Conroy. "I leave the ice content and prepared for the next stage of my career in the game.

"You always want to play, be a player. But after taking time to sit down with (team president) Ken (King) and Jay and look at everything ... I've seen a lot of guys retire when they're 30, 31 and they're emotional. I think I've come to grips with it. I'm good with it. It's time to turn the chapter and move forward with my life.''

The 39-year-old concludes his NHL career having played 1,009 games, 507 of them as a Flame. He also played in Montreal (the team that drafted him), St. Louis and Los Angeles. During that time, the personable Conroy amassed 542 points, including 182 goals, and added 30 points in 81 playoff appearances.

"I had a great career,'' Conroy noted. "I got to play for some great organizations, starting in Montreal. That was my dream.''

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Source: http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2011/02/04/craig-conroy-retires-after-17-years-moves-into-calgarys-front/

Ruslan Salei Anssi Salmela Sami Salo Bryce Salvador

No comments:

Post a Comment